DOLLY SODS WILDERNESS
There are so many things to think about when having an elopement. If you have already thought about possibly choosing Dolly Sods as an elopement location, this guide will help you a bit.
FIRST OFF, WHAT EXACTLY IS AN ELOPEMENT?
It’s just a way to say you love each other, but it still means as much as any other wedding. Elopements can be just the two of you or you can choose to still have some of your closest friends/family celebrate with you. You can make the day (or days) of it all and make it an epic memory that you will never forget. You focus on you and your love for each other more and it’s a bit less about an “event”.
Our style is 90% documentary/candids so we won’t pose you non-stop. We want to capture your day how it really is and how it unfolds.
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE DOLLY SODS…
If you know Dolly Sods, you already know why. If you don’t know why yet…It’s just so beautiful. It’s peaceful and such a memorable place. It reminds us of Colorado at some spots. Shannon has been visiting it since she was really young. We have met so many people all over the US who love it there and always come back to it.
It’s got so many gorgeous trails and epic overlooks. We also live super close to it (about 30-40 min away depending on the entrance) so we know all the roads and many of the areas/overlooks that can be perfect. Because of how remote it is in Dolly Sods (forget about cell service — haha!), we can suggest where to stay and other things to do while in the area to help make your elopement memorable and easy.
There’s also a way to include some other locations if you choose Dolly Sods for the ceremony location for your elopement. We have a lot of couples who want to also have waterfalls for some photos and we know some pretty amazing spots nearby.
WHEN YOU SHOULD ELOPE:
What time of year is a big decision. They don’t open the gates until April (which is smart because it can still get super icy and snowy there) but you can still walk in. Summer and fall is always super packed with people, but the colors are gorgeous! The gates are closed in winter (and hunting is going on then) so we suggest going before they close. Parking can be incredibly difficult from Thursday-Sunday.
Many of the trails have much less traffic during the week, so we always suggest doing a wedding between Sunday evening-Thursday morning if you choose a highly-trafficked area, if possible. If it’s not possible to do during the week, we can help figure out all the logistics to make it the best day for you two. There are so many access points though and we can help make it so much easier for you to plan and find the perfect spot and any day of the week.
We can also help you choose the timeline for the ceremony and all the festivities. There are certain locations that are better at sunrise and some that are way better at sunset for lighting and crowd reasons.
FUN WAYS TO MAKE YOUR DAY MEANINGFUL:
- Write your own vows and share them with each other.
- Get ready together.
- Have a first look if you don’t get ready together.
- Do something new. Hike somewhere new. Check out a new town.
- Have a chef come to your place and cook you an insanely epic dinner.
- Have a campfire at the end of the night.
- Pop some champagne!
VENDORS YOU MIGHT NEED/WANT:
We can help you decide which vendors you might need and suggest some others also. We know you might not want many or you could want more. We are here to help suggest some local/nearby vendors and also help out in any other ways that we can.
- Photographer (oh hey) ;)
- Officiant (we always say to choose someone close to you two or we have a couple good ones we can suggest)
- Hair + MUA
- Music: (portable bluetooth speakers for the win!)
- Food: Catering/Chef/Dinner
Dolly Sods is located in Grant and Tucker Counties, so you must get a license there. There is no waiting period in WV and they are valid for 60 days.
You do not need a permit to get married in Dolly Sods, though we do suggest keeping your guest list at a minimum and carpooling. It’s super tough to get parking there sometimes.
WHAT TO BRING (depending on the time of year):
- Dress + Suit/Tux/etc
- Layers of clothes if you are hiking and especially in places that have a chance of snow/colder weather (Colorado, I am talking about you — snowing in the Summer — haha).
- Extra socks
- Hiking shoes/boots
- Dressier shoes (if you want to change into them), but we love boots!
- Illumination: Headlamps
- Bug spray/Bug Netting
- Rain gear (It can be super rainy and muddy)
- Base layers (thermals, cuddlduds, fleece leggings, etc)
- Champagne and glasses, if you want to celebrate after! :)
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN THE DOLLY SODS AREA:
Here are some other activities available in the area. There are so many options to make it a memorable experience. Eloping is so amazing because you get to make it WHATEVER you want it to be.
- Hiking + Sightseeing (Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks, Blackwater Falls, Swallow Falls areas to name a few)
- Rock climbing (NRocks)
- Kayaking/SUPing/Whitewater Rafting (Blackwater Outdoor Adventures)
- Boating (Deep Creek area Bill’s Marine)
- Golfing (Canaan)
- Coffee + Art Walk (TipTop + so many art galleries/stores in Thomas and Davis…seriously there are some amazing artists in the area)
- Antiquing/Vintage Shopping (Ella+Company + The Wandering Caravan to name a couple)
- Distillery+Brewery Tours (ie: Still Hollow Spirits + Stumptown Ales + Mountain State Brewery)
- Live Music (Purple Fiddle)
PLACES TO STAY:
- The Billy Motel – super funky and fun with great drinks and food.
- Bright Morning Inn – cute place (newly remodeled) with great food.
- Cooper House Bed + Cocktail
- AirBNBs/Home Rentals – There are some really cute ones in the area that we can refer you to for sure!
- Canaan Valley Resort
We know there are lots to think about, but here is just a starting point for you and some things to think about.