First off, some of you might be wondering what a “First Look” really is and we are here to clear it all up. It’s a time before the wedding, where the couple sees each other for the first time. Most of the time they are alone and it’s a wonderful moment for them to talk and have a little bit together before they have their ceremony in front of all their loved ones.
Let us explain a little bit about the history of couples not seeing each other before the wedding. It was basically for arranged marriages. They weren’t allowed to see each other. This made it better so the groom wouldn’t have the chance to back out of the wedding (if he saw her).
We have this conversation every time we talk to ur couples. Even before they book, we like to get a feel for whether or not they want a first look and the reasoning behind it all.
Here are some of my thoughts on why you should do it.
- It’s an intimate moment. It’s a time for the couple to see each other and take it all in. It’s a time to talk and love on each other before all the “I Dos”. We suggest doing it all alone so there is nothing else going on and no stress from others watching.
- It’s meaningful. We have seen so many emotions during first looks. There can be crying or laughing, but there is always so much love and happiness.
- Gives more time for photos. If the couple can see each other before the ceremony, that gives so much more time for photos. After the ceremony won’t have so many group photos, because we can get them done before as long as the right people are in the right location at the right time. (dang that was a fun sentence) After the ceremony, we can focus on getting the little group photos we need and then can do much more with the couple and have the time to do it.
- It takes some of the stress away. Whether you’re an introvert or not, it takes some of the stress of seeing your loved one in front of a ton of people and it gives you a moment to take it all in.
- You can pick an epic location. If you have time, why not pick a spot that is amazing.
We totally get why people don’t want to see each other, but just talk with your significant other and see what you both think. It could be an amazing moment for you two to connect and really get to see each other before the big ceremony.